Saturday, March 6, 2010

Playing Games

Let the games begin!
That is, four rounds of the matching game of Memory yesterday by the pool. Roo was victor in three of the four, with the fourth a tie game. He's quite good at this one and I can't help but wonder if a child's brain isn't more agile than an adults? We played many card games on this holiday and I'll admit I'm thrilled to do so. Up until now, Roo has been content to watch. The thought of losing or the stress to win was always too great. I've read and learned from other mothers that this isn't unusual in a four or five year old. At that age, winning is everything. While winning is still important, it's apparent that he's learning to cope as evidenced by his verbal outlay of emotion, for example, "it's ok if you have 2 sets (of Go Fish) and I only have 1 set because I won once already today". Or, the expression he's picked up for when one doesn't come in first, "lucky last". From what I can tell by reading, children are emotionally mature to handle winning or losing at around the age of 8, with the concept beginning to develop around the age of 6. While I'm not sure he's ready to engage in a round of cards with his peers, I'm happy he's finding it within himself to play within the comfort zone of Mom & Dad.
The thrill of winning! Utter elation!
The Victory Dance. Hmm...this may be future material for the end zone!



No comments: