Saturday, October 17, 2009

Nabemono

I’ve read the Japanese believe eating from the same pot facilitates closer relationships. There’s even a saying “nabe o kakomu” which means “sitting around the pot”. We’re fondue fans and many times Ryan took me for fondue at The Times Bar & Cafe in Minneapolis for a special occasion. So, I consider my interest in nabemono, or one pot dishes, a logical extension. The warmth and comfort of nambemono makes it well suited for the cold season. Now that the temps are cooling, I decided to buy a clay pot and a table top oven and incorporate this method of eating into our repertoire. Last night we had shabu shabu with steamed vegetable, dipped in ponzo ( soy & citrus) or sesame sauce. For shabu shabu, the thinly shaved beef is cooked briefly in the pot at the table. Full of nutrition and very delicious!


No comments: