Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Trying out the "tornado"

This is the first ikebana arrangement I’ve done where I pick out the combination of flowers on my own at the flower shop. I was eager to try an alternative technique. Since beginning, I’ve always used a round or rectangle plate with small metal spikes, called a kenzan, to hold the stems in place. Instead I used a coil contraption, the katakana on the box reads “tornado”, to create a web like structure inside the vase.



The yellow specimen is a type of shrub called mimosa. It’s popular this time of year. I’ve read it represents the opening of many suns. A warm thought on these cool sleety days.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I love your arrangements! You are very talented. I especially like the "featured" one on your main page. Thanks for sharing.