Saturday, March 21, 2009

Book Reviews: Blood Hollow & Iron Lake

by William Kent Krueger. For a change of pace I read these crime novels, written by a Minnesotan. They take place in the Minnesota iron range. The complexity of small town life where families of European immigrants and Native Americans collide in cultural conflict is thread throughout. The change the four seasons bring to the Northwoods is clearly described and often a factor in the turn of events. The references to the green, white, and red wrappers of Pearson’s Nut Goodies and IGA grocery bought back feelings of home. (Last summer I carried to Japan from MN a stack of Nut Goodies…) I enjoyed both stories and will put the rest of his novels on my “wish list”. The characters are sketched fully and the town vividly drawn. The pace doesn’t slow, and the “who done it?” remains a mystery until the end.

1 comment:

CzaMama said...

Sounds like something I need to add to my Goodreads list! btw, are you on there?