Monday, February 16, 2009

Spinach & Basmati Rice Soup

I’m always looking for tasty ways to consume more vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables chock full of micro nutrients. So, this evening I’m relishing the taste of a surprisingly pleasant dish I prepared for the first time, Spinach and Basmati Rice Soup. What’s made me even happier is that I didn’t follow the recipe from my Moosewood Restaurant New Classics Cookbook to the T. Instead, I improvised to fit my families’ preferences, using the recipe as a suggestion. For some, this might not be an accomplishment worthy of a blog post, but for me it signifies progress in my quest for culinary skill. I learned to cook from a book. Oh, and I mustn’t forget seventh grade home economics. I don’t recall watching my mother cook and I’ve always been a little jealous of stories, real or in novels, where families convene in the kitchen for hours chopping, dicing, talking, creating. And, as a chemist I tend to value precise measurements. This helps to explain why my goal to cook more off the cuff is a bit of a stretch and why tonight’s sensation was a surprise. I don’t have any photos of the soup to entice readers. It’s difficult to make pureed green look appetizing. But, if you’re inclined to try, below is a rough guess recipe I‘ll use when I try to repeat.

Spinach and Basmati Rice Soup, served with naan
1 T vegetable oil
1 c chopped leeks
1 T garlic grated*
½ t cumin
½ t coriander
¼ t paprika
½ t salt
Pinch of cayenne
1 potato, peeled & diced
3 c water
2 vegetable bouillon**
1 large bunch of spinach, washed
½ c basmati rice, uncooked
1 small box of coconut cream***
Pepper to taste
Naan, warmed in oven
Saute leek and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne, and salt. Add water, bouillon, and potato. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook until potato is tender. Add spinach, stems and all, cover and cook until wilted and stems are tender, it only takes a few minutes. Allow to cool slightly. Puree in two batches in the blender. Return to sauce pan and bring to a simmer. Stir in coconut cream. Add rice and more water, if needed, to achieve preferred consistency. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add pepper to taste. Serve with warm naan.
* I use a wasabi grater to grate cloves.
** I used a no salt added product by the German company Natur Compagnie.
*** Could probably use standard size can of coconut milk.

1 comment:

CzaMama said...

That sounds delicious! I'm adding it to my "must make." Like you I'm always trying to add more veggies to our diet.

I on the other hand am such a bad planner that I cook off the cuff the majority of the time. My goal for the year is to make something by-the-book at least once a week. (Although Terry said I have a several weeks free pass since all of the food I made for Chinese New Year were from actual recipes!)