Saturday, February 28, 2009

Mochi Cream

Today, from a favored vendor at Meguro station, I brought home the amazing Japanese sweet delicacy called mochi cream. Mochi is glutinous rice pounded into a paste. It appears in different forms, and of course, my favorite is the dessert version. The first time I sampled a mochi cream shortly after arriving in Japan, I wasn’t all that impressed. My sweet tooth was still accustomed to American treats which are extra sweet. Now, I can’t help but think of mochi cream when I pass through Meguro. Unfortunately my waistline is carrying the burden of this acquired desire. I do manage to restrain myself, which isn’t all that easy considering the studio where I do yoga is across the street. I suspect it’s difficult to make in the home, requiring an artisanal skill that is passed from older generation to new. Even if I could read the manual, I doubt my rice cooker can pop out a yummy mochi cream. With that in mind, I’ll indulge every so often while it’s available to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That place was one of our favorites!!! I miss it so much. That whole floor was deadly for me...

denise said...

Oh, yum.