Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Basic Buddhism: Law of Conditionality

Today I attended my first session of the Basic Buddhism course, offered by the International Buddhist Congregation of Rissho Kosei-kai, conducted by Reverend Kasuji Suzuki. Today’s lesson was an explanation of the Law of Conditionality or Dependent Origin. My summary of understanding of today’s talk is two fold. First, Buddhism teaches that all we are or experience is a result of cause and effect. To me, this is much different than Judeo-Christian tradition that teaches the concept of an omnipotent god who creates and controls good or bad. This conditionality can be demonstrated by something as simple as tonight I decide to drink too much, tomorrow I feel sick. Where it becomes complicated is the second part of today’s discussion which was about the interdependence of all things or the concept of Anatta, the absence of self identity. Or as they instruct in yoga, “letting go of the ego”. Simply, each individual is an inseparable component of humanity and if an individual decides to act in a way that is for self instead of all, the delicate balance is disturbed and conflict created. Therefore, an individual may be the cause of an effect experienced by others. One woman explained that anatta is less about suppression, but rather more about harmony. I liked that, a focus on the positive. All in all, a very interesting discussion today and a lovely group of people. I’ll be attending twice a month.

No comments: