Sunday, February 1, 2009

International Buddhist Congregation

Today I attended Sunday service of the International Buddhist Congregation. What led me to this event was my interest in meeting and listening to Dr. Gene Reeves, a Unitarian minister. As I’ve come to discover, he’s one of few Unitarians residing in Tokyo. The group was small and indescribably kind. I think the potential of my attendance must have been communicated prior to my arrival. The lovely woman welcoming me, who I had communicated with via email, introduced me only as “Darla-san” . The members quick response of recognition led me to believe “Darla-san” had been discussed. This group shares their Buddhist faith in English for the benefit of foreigners, regardless of nationality or religion. Their intent is one of knowledge sharing, rather than conversion per say. They’ve invited me back for Sutra discussion, which I will likely attend towards the end of this month. I’ll also comment of my discovery regarding a topic unrelated to Sutra, feet. As I'd expect, shoes must be removed before entering the worship space. For comparison, imagine leaving your shoes in the vestibule prior to nearing the sanctuary. I realized I had yet to be in a situation where I saw so many Japanese feet at once. Very small feet! I mentioned to Ryan later that I have a better understanding of why his clients are surprised by his big feet (size 14). The secretary at the client he goes to this week once did research to find a “big foot” store for him to buy a pair of slippers. He’s found slippers, but fat chance on finding shoes!

2 comments:

CzaMama said...

Yes, Ryan (and Brent for that matter) always had feet on the larger side...and really narrow too!

CzaMama said...

Ummm, sorry...I meant BrAnt. Toddler brain.