Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Green Leaf

Yesterday walking home from school with a classmate Roo declared, with exuberance and pride, "I eat green leaves" (pronounced leaf-es). I realize for most parents this wouldn't warrant excessive joy, but for me it's a moment of triumph that almost brings tears to my eyes. Roo has added to his small repertoire of approved foods, basil leaf. Or as he calls it "the green leaf". Specifically he likes the green leaf when it's part of the assembly for a margherita pizza. One day, he just decided he was going to try it. No prodding. Little encouragement. It was there. He went for it. To date, this is the first and only green colored food to make it to his mouth (except the dried oregano in pizza sauce, which he notices). My concerns about his eating habits were comforted during a recent girl's night out (see Nobu post) when I learned that another mother has a son with similar food aversions. She has a daughter in Roo's class. The son is in his last year of high school. It was wonderful for me to hear her story and how she's managed over the years. Even better, to hear how her son has managed and to learn how much or how little he's changed while on the verge of adulthood. It's not all rosy, but not gloom and doom, either. Finally, a resource that can completely relate.

No comments: