Sunday, July 19, 2009

Movie: Sunshine Cleaning

For the second time since arriving in Japan, Ryan and I went to a movie. Living in the U.S.A., I enjoyed the documentaries available through Netflix and my very own queue reflecting my personal preferences. However, I'm not a big movie buff and tend to think the whole theatre thing is overrated and overpriced. Once a year is probably enough for me. Last night's choice, Sunshine Cleaning, was much better that our previous choice, Be Kind Rewind (which has to be one of the worst movies ever and we kept wondering why on earth it even made it to Japan). Even more so than the actual movie, we enjoy experiencing the subtle differences between Japan and the United States. Such as the 100Yen ($1) self serve popcorn (albeit not a gargantuan container, but still, only a buck):
the 400Yen ($4) beer:
and the assigned seating. There were about 30 people in the theatre. It appeared as though everyone properly occupied their assigned seat as printed on their ticket at the time of purchase.

The ticket price was 1800Yen ($18) each. As for the movie, it was a mix of emotion which included plenty enough humor. I found the candy bar game at the baby shower scene particularly funny because 1.) I've been to more than one shower where this has been done, and 2.) It's so obviously spells W-E-I-R-D when you see it played out on screen. I laughed out loud and realized know one else did. I'm curious to find others that have watched the movie to learn how this scene translates around the globe. My gut says it probably doesn't transcend cultures with the same comic effect.

No comments: