Friday, April 17, 2009

High Speed Rail

Tonight as I’m reading an article at NPR about Obama’s message to the people calling for high speed rail, I can’t but think, well of course. Living in a country where they’ve practically mastered this approach to transportation, it feels so obvious that America could benefit. Often when people ask me what I like about living in Tokyo, I reply “safety”, or “I don’t have to drive a car”. At times I miss driving or cruising, but I have yet to miss driving to get from point A to point B. Here, train, bus, bike or walking can get you most places on time. In a pinch, a taxi. Never, the frantic stress of wondering how you’re going to get somewhere when your car unexpectedly doesn’t start.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I wish we had more public transport options here. Things are moving along slowly but surely with the light rail connecting Minneapolis and St. Paul, but it will be a long time before mass public transit is in place here. I like your thoughts!