Friday, December 5, 2008

Shichimi Togarashi

I’ve discovered a Japanese spice that makes carrot and lotus root sauté receive the distinction of “very good” from Ryan. Two words he doesn’t often use in the same sentence as carrot. I crave the dish. The spice is shichimi togarashi (7 spice pepper blend). It’s in every Japanese food store that has a decent spice section and a little gives a lot of kick. I use a recipe from a class I attended at A Taste of Culture, but I did find online a “pages displayed by permission” recipe from the cookbook Washoku that I mentioned in an earlier post. Shichimi togarashi is a quick and easy way to add a little heat to your palate and spice to your life!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that stuff! You'll find it in several flavors--shishimi, yuzu (japanese citrus), nanami (orange peel), etc. It's also really popular to put on top of ramen. They usually have it at the tables in little containers with a little spoon.
oh and bonus: you'll be able to fidn it back here in asian markets!