Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Ninja

Last night I went to a restaurant called Ninja with a group of mothers from Roo’s preschool class. In the dark, the ninja clad hostess led us to our cavernous room where we enjoyed drinks, most of the food, and magic tricks performed by an English speaking ninja. I said most of the food because there was one dish I couldn’t even consider tasting. Usually I‘m brave but when it comes to internal organs I’m afraid. Luckily two women in our group speak Japanese and were able to confirm that the white mass floating in the soup broth was indeed fish intestines. And, it did look very intestinal. A few of the woman reported that the broth was rather tasty if you could ignore the chunk in the center, but I don‘t believe any of us ventured beyond the broth. This restaurant is visited by foreigners and it is a fun place to go for a cultural experience. The intestine dish might be part of the course menu for the shock factor, but as they say, nothing goes to waste in the Japanese kitchen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember reading about this in one of the guide books. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. Ah, I miss the endless restaurants of Tokyo!