Monday, April 12, 2010

Eyelashes

When you arrive in Tokyo, it doesn’t take long to notice the high concentration of beautiful people. Or more specifically, the high standard to which what feels like every Japanese woman accomplishes to put herself together for an appearance outside the home. Now that I’ve been here three years, I know it’s not EVERY Japanese woman, but certainly a significantly higher proportion as compared to say, a trip to the Mall of America. Before coming to Japan it wouldn’t have been far fetched to describe my style as granola or simple. I wear Birkenstocks. I let my pierced ears grow shut after having a child. My closet contained a lot of solid color t-shirts. Once I found a cut that fit of something, I purchased many in varying shades. And, I was always on the lookout for a comfy pair of jeans. Then I came to Tokyo. It took about two trips to the park to realize the mums don’t do cargo pants. Needless to say, I’ve made some changes. I’d argue it’s inevitable as evidenced by a book club conversation where the topic digressed and we found ourselves taking a pole regarding who tints or perms their eyelashes. Yes, I wrote PERMS their EYELASHES. Yes, I get my eyelashes permed. (In the group of about 10 foreign woman there was only a few who had not done one or the other, so for the record, I’m no extreme.) So, when my friend came from America, I felt she had to experience some of what Tokyo offers in the way of personal beautification. Here we are, with the perm rods wrapped, relaxing in a very foo foo girlie salon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I thought your eyelashes looked extra curled on the Japanese tea ceremony photo. (heh) Your friend, Trish, really got the royal treatment over there while visitng. She'll probably never have an experience like that again in her life unless she visits you in Tokyo! Good for you for stepping up your style! Who would have known you were all granola at one point in your life? I have friends who never "left the farm" so the need for fashion change doesn't seem to affect them.