Sunday, April 25, 2010

Broomball

Last night Ryan and I, along with two friends from Minnesota, attended a wine event that featured wines from the Washington State and Oregon region. Assembled at a table with people we had not met prior, the conversation expectantly starts with “Where are you from?” “How long have you been in Japan?” and so forth. I was seated next to a Japanese woman who was attending with her Italian boyfriend. When she asked “Where in the USA are you from?” I replied “Minnesota”, completely prepared to provide the usual explanation of where Minnesota is in relation to Chicago and Canada, and, “No, it’s not the same as Michigan”. And, “Yes, it’s very cold”. But to my surprise, she shyly admitted that she had been to Minneapolis, Minnesota. When I prompted further, she shared that it was not her profession as a dentist that took her abroad, but rather, GET THIS!!, to compete on Japan’s team in the International Federation of Broomball Association’s World Championship. Quietly she asked “Do you know broomball?” (I suspect her boyfriend wasn't in the know regarding her broomball past.) I confirmed the four of us know broomball, but that many Americans may not even know of broomball. I explained how when I was dating Ryan I would go to watch his work team play outside at the rink in the evenings. Her sympathy was genuine when she said, “you can’t WATCH broomball, It’s too cold! You have to PLAY.” My sentiments exactly, but what can I say, we were dating. So once again, we were surprised by this random discovery and reminded how connected the world is.

By the way, we enjoyed the wine. An earthy King Estate Pinot Noir 2006 and an outstanding Eroica Reisling 2008 with dessert.

1 comment:

chicago dentist said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.