Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

With help from these two women, Michelle and Kristy, we served an American Thanksgiving lunch to twelve parents from Roo's school as part of a series of "Ladies Lunches" to raise money for a charity in the Philippines. Despite rising early to stuff and start the bird, the "it's finished" pop up pin on the sixteen pounder was stubborn and we got a late start. By the time we ate, everyone was good and hungry. Thankfully, when it was time to eat, everyone seemed to enjoy the food.
OUR MENU
Turkey with stuffing and gravy
Mashed potatoes
Candied yams
Green Bean Casserole
Assorted dinner roles
Pickles
Cranberries
Norwegian rice
Pumpkin pie

I was happy the Swedes in the group authenticated what I grew up calling "Norwegian Rice". Michelle's test runs last week paid off as she produced a delightful pie. And Kristy put to good use in the green bean casserole a portion of the FOUR POUNDS of French's fried onions I accidentally ordered from America.
After the guests departed I headed off to school to share the leftovers with the teachers, and read a book titled "The Pilgrims First Thanksgiving" to Roo's class. Absentmindedly, I forgot to save some food for my husband, so poor Ryan only got pie tonight when he came home from work. I've promised to repeat a few of his favorites (turkey, gravy, candied yams, Norwegian rice) this weekend. Since he's not feeling so hot tonight, it's probably not a bad thing. I just happen to have an extra turkey (smaller) in the freezer. Maybe we'll even put American football on.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

As we were eating last night, we shared our adventure last year wheeling the turkey over to your house. This year's adventure was running to the doctor with Ariana and her 105 degree fever. After throwing up all over the examining table, herself and me, she is much better.

I am doing laundry.

Miss you - send kisses to the big and little guy - and one for you too.


hi ryder ariana