Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Quilts by Dianne Conroy

When I first read of Dianne Conroy's Kimono quilts in an English magazine, I immediately knew I must see her work. While I've never learned the art of quilting, I've admired the craft since I was in high school. At county fairs I like to lurk in the quilt section of the 4-H building. Ms. Conroy is an Australian living in Japan and creates amazing quilts from most often recycled kimono and yukata fabric. Once I was in her quilt room of her home ogling over her work, I knew I didn't want to leave Japan without a memento from her shop. So, I commissioned two twin size quilts. Instead of a bright kimono silk fabric quilt, I opted for the practical, very Japanese, indigo-dyed yukata fabric. A yukata is less formal than a kimono and typically worn after bathing, or in the hot summer months. Yukata are typically made of cotton instead of silk. The interior of the quilts is filled with Australian wool. I also requested a thin red strip of outline to accent, one quilt more light and one more dark, and the use of a variety of yukata prints. I'm very pleased with the result!

2 comments:

CzaMama said...

They are gorgeous, Darla!!!

Amy said...

I am so impressed. What beautiful work. Makes we want to commission some of my own RIGHT NOW!