Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Dick & Fern

Today I was once again reminded how small the world is. I met a friend for lunch. The restaurant where we met is called Fujimamas and is owned and operated by an American woman. The cuisine is sort of Asian but with an American, or Gaijin (foreigner) twist. Most of the staff seems to speak English and it’s a popular hang out for foreigners. Well, my friend and I were visiting and two tables over an elderly couple was sitting. At one point we made eye contact and the gentleman nodded to acknowledge my use of chopsticks, as if he was impressed. It’s funny, because a thought crossed my mind that “I bet they are American, in fact, I bet they are Midwestern”. They finished their food before us and the gentleman stopped to ask us where we were from. My friend spoke to him about South Africa, and then I said the “United States, Minneapolis“. Guess what….drum roll… they are on vacation in Japan visiting from Eden Prairie. Of course Dick waved for Fern to come back because “she‘s from Minnesota“ (meaning me). Fern was a few strides ahead of Dick who is a little wobbly with the cane. Which, once they left, I started to worry about Dick with his cane on the uneven Tokyo streets where little steps here and there surprise even the most agile walkers. Then I reminded myself that he probably navigates icy sidewalks and parking lots and knows how to be careful. A day in which I bump into a jolly elderly Minnesotan couple is a refreshing day!
Roo now has a razor scooter that we’ll use to get to and from school when it’s not raining. Right now it’s slow going but with time, it should help the stroll to school to clip along at a comfortable pace. It’s adorable, when I pick him up he’s sitting with the other bugs listening to the story but unlike the other bugs, he’s wearing a helmet and knee pads, ready to go!

No comments: