Friday, October 24, 2008

Chopsticks

The other day I was talking with my Aunt Bonnie and the subject of chopsticks entered our conversation. I caught myself saying “I love using chopsticks”. It’s true. But still, I surprised myself. I only started eating with chopsticks when we learned we could be moving to Japan. I’d visit the sushi bar at Lunds or Byerly’s and get maki or nigiri to go, and practice, sometimes in my car, eating with chopsticks. Only later did I learn that sushi is the one food it’s ok to eat with your fingers and forego the utensils. I was clumsy. When we arrived in Japan, I’d try to inconspicuously watch other eaters and take note if their middle finger was really relaxed and only guiding the top stick instead of purple from pressure and gripping the bottom stick, like my middle finger. I’d try to relax and lessen my grip. In fact, it’s not all that different from learning to knit. One of the first gifts from our Japanese language teacher was a set of long chopsticks to use in cooking. I’ve found that they work great for quickly beating an egg or whisking in oil. Gradually, eating with chopsticks became easier and easier and I can confidently snap apart wooden chopsticks and enjoy my food at a pleasant pace. Something about eating with chopsticks feels healthier. Delicate. Better portion control and less shoveling. The small cuts of food served in single dishes makes eating with chopsticks logical. Of course, eating an Outback t-bone with chopsticks would still be tough. Still, I’m confident that when we leave Asia our “silverware drawer” will have a spot for chopsticks and the chopstick rests I‘m collecting. It’s become habit!

No comments: