Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hooping

Yesterday on the beaches of Kamakura I experienced a new form of fitness called Hooping. An artistic expression of dance, you can learn more about it on Wikipedia. After gathering and exchanging names and stories, thirteen woman and three guys, we each decorated a plastic hoop to suit our own preference.
In plain site of the spectators enjoying family time on the sand, I cautiously began hooping. I don’t recall possessing any natural talent with the hula hoop as a child, but with a few pointers from professional hooper Deanne, I was off to a good start. I’ll admit, IT WAS FUN! And a great workout for the core. The highlight was definitely when one of the participants asked a resting surfer is she could borrow his board, and then she proceeded to paddle to the waves with hoop in hand. Amazingly she was up riding the wave AND hooping! AWESOME to say the least.

After eating organic vegetable curry at the hemp restaurant on the shoreline, we retreated to Shivani’s home for a lesson is yogic massage. It was a good day.
My hoop, blue with leopard pin striping. Yes, I carried this thing home on the train.

No comments: