Wednesday, August 5, 2009

MN Zoo

Today was beautiful! Roo and I spent the afternoon at the Minnesota Zoo, which is located on 500 wooded acres of land. I’ve always liked this zoo because I can give patronage with a clear conscience. Except for one encounter, during an off peak visit, with what seemed to be a very lonely moose, I rarely feel sad for the animals. For the most part, this zoo doesn’t have exhibits that mirror the stir-crazy-tiger-pacing-on-the-small-concrete-slab image that is so often the case at urban zoos. While recreation and the funds received for this purpose are likely an important part of the zoo’s operation, what is somewhat unique and wonderful about the MN Zoo is the very apparent focus on conservation. The zoo participates in many national programs that monitor the breeding and conservation of endangered species. And, recent renovations ensure a top quality and up to date atmosphere. In the past, I recall hearing in conversation, complaints about how difficult it was to see the tigers because they were too far back in the exhibit under a shady tree in the tall grass, or that you can barely see the wolves because they blend in with the nature and don’t move during the day. Personally, I’d rather strain a bit to see the tiger in the grass than have a close up view on concrete. I’ll admit I’m hoping to instill this same preference in Roo. Recently at a circus that was mostly acrobatics but did have a few animal acts, Roo turned to me during the bear’s performance and asked skeptically “mommy, do you think those bears are having fun?” I asked him what he thought; did it look like they were having fun? I was delighted and relieved when he responded “no, I don’t think they look like they’re having much fun.” We agreed they'd be happier living in the woods.
On the Minnesota Trail, the children can measure their wingspan. Roo matched the horned owl.

My favorite was the giraffes in the African exhibit (only open during the summer months for obvious reasons).
Roo is his 3D goggles for Dinosaurs Alive IMAX show.
Only in Minnesota is the ride on toy at the park a Walleye (the state fish...I think).

No comments: