Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Rebounding Knickknack

The red and white metal structure adorning the Tokyo cityscape is not so aesthetically pleasing in the daylight. Nevertheless, it’s towering presence ensures it’s a recognizable symbol of the city. The Tokyo Tower sits directly across from our doctor‘s clinic. One day after an appointment, Roo and I had lunch in the tower’s food court. We didn’t escape without visiting one of the many souvenir shops, where Roo spotted a six inch plastic replica of the tower that he just had to have. I agreed to buy, and am certain I commented that he could put it in HIS room. Shortly after it’s arrival in our home, I came upon Roo standing on a chair and he was placing the plastic knickknack on the top shelf in the living room. His rationale “it’s a decoration and this way visitors can see it”. Despite my instinct to cringe and because I appreciated his passion in beautifying our home, I let it be. For a few days. Then I put it back in his room. Again, it made it’s way to the living room. We’ve been through this rendition a few times. So today when it surfaced and found it’s place once again on the top shelf, I couldn’t help but sigh. Roo’s earnest attachment is obvious. He’s made this clear. I’ll respect this and let it be. For awhile anyway.

No comments: